May is not only the month of fiestas and summer outings but of homecoming of balikbayans and gathering of alumni of the different schools, as well.
Since I graduated from high school nine years ago, I hadn't given it a thought to join the annual alumni homecoming of my alma mater. While the other batches were already busy preparing for their presentations or homecoming parties as early as January or February, ours was not as enthusiastic and excited. Perhaps because many of my batchmates have already settled in other places or busy with their lives and careers. We also hadn't established a complete set of officers or even a core group who will take care of everything. Nevertheless, I appreciated people like Orig and Boging and the others who extended their effort and time to gather at least a few of our batch to participate in the homecoming.
Last Saturday, May 12, was the alumni homecoming of ANHS. As expected, I did
n't attend the gathering, although Kristy had urged me to go with her and Hanna two days before. They had planned to skip the homecoming, too, had not Orig paid them a surprise visit at their offices to collect their contributions for the t-shirt. Fortunately for me, Orig didnt know our new office address so i saved three hundred bucks. (Hahaha)Just when I thought I could completely elude the annual gathering of my batch mates, I was wrong. Or did Kristy and Hann tricked me? The plan was that the four of us (Oki Doc Lyngie, came home for the election) would meet in the afternoon after the homecoming program, maybe eat out or stroll at the new cable bridge. While waiting for them at the mall, Boging and another batch mate saw me and invited me to join the others at Fun Box just across the mall. I declined but to no avail because it turned out that Kristy and Hanna would be going there too. In order not to disappoint many people, I went with them to Fun Box. ACtually, I enjoyed the party. It wasn't that bad after all.
There were only forty of us at the party, out of the thousand graduates of Batch '98. Next year would be our 10th year. As they said, "Dekada Na!" We resolved that we would make it a more memorable homecoming party with more attendees. For the others, especially my classmates, who, for nine years, ignored the invitations, it's time for us to give it a try, just like what i did. Because of Junna, who was the co-emcee of Ian, I was suddenly appointed as one of those who will prepare for the homecoming this DEcember.
It was my first time to join the homecoming and definitely not my last! It's nostalgic seeing familiar faces, old friends and acquaintances. some we hardly recognized because they either got chubbier or slimmer, and there were those who had a completely new image or looks. Anyhow, they were my batchmates and nine years ago, they had been part of my life.
2 comments:
Jess I must confess I'm one of those people who intentionally snub Alumni homecomings and stuff. I could remember Vicente (Magallanes) years before who was too pushy with the event and I was the evil one who kept on telling people not to attend to the occasion. With my great convincing skills, many of our classmates didn't show up. Hahaha.
But Guy and I planned to attend the homecoming once we've reached our 10th anniversary. That'll be next year but I don't think I'm prepared enough to see our batchmates. Hehe. Maybe Guy and I would talk about it or we might reschedule our "showing up" in another five or ten years. We don't know. Hopefully, I could go home next year.
I have to stop. My comment is getting as lengthy as this entry. Haha.
I knew it!hehe...but you should give it a try. I told myself that I will not attend but when I did, I realized that it was fun. We are not teenagers anymore, but we've grown and more mature individuals. It's our 10th year next year, we really have to make the next reunion the best as possible...and we need your help, aside from your presence...hehehe...cge na gud mo oi, once a year ra bitaw...
Post a Comment