Tuesday, May 06, 2008

What I Want

I finally had the chance to inform our director of my plan to resign. As expected of her, she asked if being a nurse is what I really want to do with my life. She also said that my decision to take up nursing should not just be focused on the employment opportunities abroad but it should also be the job that I would enjoy and love to do. Of course, I said yes to her questions and thanked her for her advice.

The thing she said about enjoying and loving the work made me think about my work in this office. Do I love my work here? Am I enjoying the tasks assigned to me? I would be fooling myself if I would straightforwardly answer "yes". There were times when I felt like I can stay with this job for the rest of my career life, but there were many more of those times when I asked myself what am I still doing here or when my find-another-job-leg itches and I felt that I wanted to try out other fields, work environment, challenges, or skills. When I get to chat with my college friends who are working in marine labs and pearl farms, I realized that I dont really get to do the kind of work that i was trained for in college. I want to dive, explore coral reefs, study plankton, algae, fishes and other marine life in the field or in the lab or work with or for the coastal communities. I simply want to kepp constantly in touch with one thing i love -- the ocean. So now I am a frustrated marine biologist.

So when asked if I really like to be a nurse, I'd say it's alright, it's not difficult to learn to like a job, especially if it pays you more than enough for yourself and for your family. It's the thought of being able to provide a better life and future for the ones you love that matters in the end. The chance to see and feel the places, sights, and culture other than your birth country is just part of the package.

No comments: