Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Class notes

It's my second day of nursing school today. Over and above the nostalgia of being back in the academe as an irregular freshman, I am again preparing myself for the pressures of studying. For one, I will have an exam first period tomorrow. Good thing I have quite a lot of free time so I was able to study and memorize the school's mission, vision and core values just last night. We were also told to memorize the school hymn but the instructor hadn't taught us the tune. Well, anyway, I still have to learn it like every new student does. Why even in our masteral class last year we were made to sing the school hymn by twos in front of the class. I just find it 'corny'.

I had philo this afternoon and as before, it is one of the boring subjects, talking about the philosophers and their philosophies on the human person and world. Asking questions like "is God real?" or "do atoms exist or just in the minds of the scientists?" Really, these things are good for discussion and brainstorming but sometimes they confuse the students, especially those of weaker faith on the Divine Being. Anyway, I understand that it's a basic subject so I might as well bear with it the whole semester. What I think I could not bear is our instructor who unconsciously rubs or scratches his jaw while doing the lecture. Such a distraction. I wonder if he was even a bit aware of those 'unnecessary noise' and some grammatical lapses. I know nobody's perfect and I dont even consider myself an expert of the English language but there are just some lines that can't be ignored or easily forgotten just like this: "Are you exist?" Duh?

4 comments:

thinkerthird said...

Ha ha ha! Ha ha ha! Himantayon sab diay ka Jess. I can't imagine how you look like as you say "Duh!" Ha ha!

As for the corny thing, I could sing the Urios Hymn better than those UC students but I don't know a word of the SJIT song.

Serendipity said...

not really..hehehe..i didnt mind his first grammatically incorrect sounding word/phrase but when he blurted out the second, third and more, dli na jud pwede i-ignore...
mao ra to akong na clearly remember kay wala na lang nako gi mind ang uban..maybe next meeting...hehehe

how come you know the UC hym? ako sa masteral ra nako na learn, sa reseach subject pa jud..and now, i've already forgotten it..

Anonymous said...

I used to be enrolled in UC summer classes for two years (grades II and III) and it's part of the sharing period in our Math class to be singing their hymn.

jangy said...

hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha... this made me remember of a friend who dropped her subjects and transferred from UC when her English teacher said that the root word for particularly is part.