I was at the gate when Hector came back after spending the holidays with his family in his hometown and I easily noticed that aside from his bag, he was also carrying something that looked like a painting or a large frame wrapped in manila paper.
He handed me the package and I eagerly tore the wrapper and then I saw myself five years ago. My hair was short at that time and I my face was not as chubby as it looks today. It was my graduation pic taken in March 2002 and it was drawn in charcoal -- one of the best and special gifts I've received.
Then he admitted that he secretly took my picture, had it drawn in charcoal and framed to have a keepsake of that image of me in my graduation attire. I realized that the picture was already frayed at the edges and it might not last for a couple of years. I was deeply touched by the gesture and though words weren't enough to express my feelings, I said "thank you" and hugged him tight.
No comments:
Post a Comment