The first day of the workweek has ended. Yet, there's still much to do, deadlines to beat, reports that will soon be due. Here I am again, in front of my computer, pouring out my thoughts thru this blog, else, I will find myself in a mental institution.
Coping with the pressure and stress are part of the challenges of working in a national government agency, such as the one im connected with. As public servants, we are called to serve the people or the public, in general, but it seems that employees at the bottom of the rank and file are also obliged to serve those at the top management. The you-cant-please-everybody attitude is not advisable if one wants to keep the job, especially for the contractuals.
Just this week, we learned that a division chief of the central office passed away. The first thing that came to our minds as to the cause of death was work pressure. One colleague, thus, remarked : "Let the work finish by itself, else, it will "finish" us."
In the several occasions that I was sent to attend meetings with other line agencies, I realized that more things can be accomplished if there is proper communication and linkaging with each other. When I was in high school and even in college, I considered myself as one shy person. In fact, they called me the "silent type". I was never comfortable with recitations and all other activities that involve speaking in front of an audience. But when I got this job, I have no choice but to get out of my shell and let my ideas out into the open. Now, Im getting used to speaking before a crowd, although my public speaking skills need more refinement, but at least, Im starting to appreciate the benefits of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment