Thursday, June 01, 2006

Call that Public Service!


I was at the city hall this morning, making follow up with several people for our tree-planting activity next week and what I observed just confirmed the usual comment that city hall-slash-government employees, although not all but a majority, are spending most of their office hours on nonsense stuff. Here are the most common and real scenarios:

Some of the women are either chatting with colleagues, retouching their make ups, watching tv, if the office has one, or playing text twist, scrabble and other computer games.

Some of the men who are not at their workstations are either outside the office, smoking, chatting with other men, watching tv, or just strolling around.

Others don’t seem to have watches or clocks at their homes because they arrived past way past 8’oclock. Aren’t government workers supposed to arrive on or before 8 o’clock?

As I passed by one office, I even spotted one employee sleeping at his desk. I wonder if he fell asleep doing nothing or he got tired doing nothing. It made me think, he just got lucky he wasn’t assigned at my office because he will definitely miss those naps.

I was really frustrated, having spent my entire morning waiting for some officials. No wonder our country is struggling. Its because of some people who are just wasting the government’s money and the people’s time.


**********************************************************************************

After a seminar the other day, a Department employee hitched a ride with us. We were talking about being assigned at an office far away from home. The Department staff casually admitted that she is usually out of the office as early as 3pm because she still has to travel for 2 hours to get home. And her boss is also doing the same. I was thinking, they are regular employees, and yet, they are not setting good examples for the contractuals, like me. I hate to think that contractuals such as myself are spending more time with work, sometimes working like hell to meet the damn targets, than those regular employees, who are actually paid a lot more we are. Sad but true, that’s why, sometimes, I hate being in a government office because even with work, life’s still not fair.

2 comments:

thinkerthird said...

It's a harsh reality you must face, Jess. Government offices may be the most stable employers right now (according to most people say) but it is where you'll learn corruption, unprofessionalism and loss of integrity.

If we'll examine all government employees, only few of them (including you, hehehe) are doing their jobs religiously. That is why I'll never be working in a government company again. I'm afraid that if I'll do, I might become the devil that I have been hating all my life. It's like the line, "If you can't beat them, join them."

Serendipity said...

Corrupt is the word, duard. And being in a department people see as one of the most corrupt, its frustrating to know that these acts are tolerated, and those with the authority to prosecute corrupt officials are just closing their eyes to this reality.

"If you cant beat them, join them", huh? hehehe...thanks but no thanks. there are still good people out there, though they may be outnumbered by the bad ones but at least, they can spread the word, keep watch and inform others what to do.