Thursday, February 09, 2006

Bird Talk


As we were walking along the narrow strees of the island (Socorro), something caught my attention -- a group of four men and three children were crowding on something. I was curious and went near the crowd and this was what i saw --a bird i have never seen before inside a cage. One of the men said they caught it somewhere in the swampy areas of the island. I didnt get the local name of this bird because it was hard to remember, neither the common name because the locals didnt also know.

The bird is really beautiful, but it's a wild bird for sure. The men also claimed that this bird lays green-colored eggs, not white!
Poor creature! I heard that the men who caught it were planning to sell it to anyone who's interested. Not me, for sure!
I remembered saying out loud, so the men could hear, that the bird ought to be set free because it's a wild one.
But my companion nudged me and whispered that those locals also need to feed themselves.
So I just shut up and went away.

--------------------------------------------

Later that day, I was thinking , what if i could just have bought the bird and then released it after? or i could have turned it over to the authorities...
Too late, I was already on my way home when i the idea occurred to me.
Until now, when I look at the picture I still felt guilty for not doing anything to protect it's life.

No comments: