Tuesday, April 08, 2008

6 Years Later...

“Each of us was in your life for a reason. You may not have known the reason at the time, and that is what heaven is for. For understanding your life on earth.”

That was what the Blue Man said to Eddie, in Mitch Albom’s The Five People You Meet in Heaven.

Indeed, every person we meet has something to do with our life, in one way or another. A stranger could be a friend, a family or someone special we have yet to come to know.

I received a very unexpected letter from an old friend after six years of being out of touch with each other. Upon reading the letter, memories and the feelings attached to them came like a great flood. It was like they had long been inside my being, trapped, because I still haven’t let them go yet. Not just yet.

Six years ago, I once asked God why we had to meet. Why did our paths have to cross in the most unexpected manner? Why was I affected so much with the distance between us when I knew all along and in the beginning that it would end that way?

I groped for answers and found none. So life went on for me, pretended to have gotten over it and held back any memory of the past so as to extinguish its embers.

Six years later, that ember had been doused with the soaking joy and love from the things, events and people in my life. Such that after reading what happened with his life right now and as since, his apologies for the hurt he caused, I couldn’t give the forgiveness because there was nothing to forgive in the first place. No one was to blame because it was all part of life. He was in my life at one time for a reason. And the reason why he had to walk out of it six years ago was already clear to me now.

No comments: